Friday, June 28, 2019

Mach es gut!

As I contemplate my vocation, I'm increasingly aware that I'm currently writing the final chapters of my life's work.  I'm already somewhat resigned to the fact that the most challenging and engaging chapters of my ministry are now behind me.  My serving at the little Peace Lutheran in Otis Orchards may still give isolated opportunities for very important ministry, but those opportunities are limited greatly by the size.  I'm at peace/Peace with that.  (pun intended)

My current struggles involve my work as a cabinet maker.  I made a choice a few years back to cease operating my own business in favor of working in a cabinet shop.  At issue was a dependable weekly  source of income.  What I gave up was the craftsmanship associated with building fine pieces of furniture.  My primary responsibilities at the cabinet shop involve making the miscellaneous pieces that join the cabinets together, as well as other things such as closet shelving, etc.

What I'm struggling with is concluding my life's work with the achievement of having become very good at making closet shelves. . .  "Tables, chairs, and oaken chests would have suited (David) best".
One of the things that has changed since my last attempt at a business is that I'm now to the point that I can begin taking some withdrawals from my pensions, if needed.  That, together with Karla taking her social security early would pay our basic living expenses and the income from my business would be extra.  Well, actually, sufficient income from the business would make it unnecessary to take withdrawals from pensions.

I'm also concerned about my health.  Recent thyroid problems have accentuated the fact that my work load is taking a toll.  Getting up at 3 am, leaving the house at 4:45, returning at 5 pm, eating and going to bed at 7 pm is just a grind.

Another issue is my marriage.  We joke about how I go to bed and Karla goes visiting.  It's either that  or she spends every evening alone.  Every evening.  We have dinner together.  But there is precious little time together beyond that.  

Mach es gut!  Make it good!

The bottom line is that health issues have made it clear to me that I'm nearing the end of my career.  A few more years left.  The choices I make now will write the final chapter in my working career.  And the more I contemplate that simple fact, the clearer that I am that making closet shelves is simply not the last thing I want to do with my life.  

Mach es gut.  I am responsible for my own happiness.  Mach es gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment