Sunday, October 21, 2018

When Life is Good

There is hope.  Not just the hopy/changy kind of thing politicians promise but are unable to deliver,  but genuine hope in the face of a potentially disabling disease.

I have not always experienced this hope.  Early on in my treatment for bipolar disorder I was sceptical about the prospects of leading a 'normal' life, whatever that is.  I feared that any 'normalcy' would only be the inbetween phase during the transition from manic highs to depressed lows, or vica versa.  Even that was an improvement.  Sometimes as I cycled from highs to lows, the transition was abrupt and almost violent, like falling off a cliff.  Along with major shifts that might take months to cycle I experienced a daily cycle.  I'd feel tolerably well early in the day, only to descend into a deep depression around mid afternoon.  I described it as being like the San Francisco fog that rolled in each day at a predictable time.

Lately, that cycling has been gone.  I'm not sure why, nor do I care why.  It just is.

It's hard to describe the experience.  Just normal, stable, consistent.  I don't cycle.  I thank God for the medications that are a major help in that regard.  I have energy to be productive.  I'm currently working on a side project in my shop, in addition to my normal work.  This is a good sign. 

Two major issues remain, and they are somewhat interrelated.  Insomnia and nicotine. 

It has been two months now since I've had a cigarette.  This would be a great achievement except for the fact that I've only succeeded at that by using nicotine replacement therapy, either with the patch or more recently, with vaping.  My current goal is to put enough time in free from cigarettes, that when I address the issue of cutting down and quitting nicotine entirely, I will not be tempted to buy that pack.  This has been difficult, to say the least.

The most difficult thing about quitting nicotine is that it destabilizes my moods.  Withdrawal brings with it irritability, anger, depression.  I genuinely don't like myself at those times.  And the trap is that I am quick to seek relief.  And because using doesn't carry with it the catastrophic consequences that, for example, having a drink might, it is easy to indulge and to alleviate the moods.  Because I'm bipolar, there is probably no greater fear than that associated with uncontrollable mood shifts.  This intensifies the issues concerning withdrawal and quitting.

My hopes remain.  My game plan at this point is that I will probably use lozenges to ease the transition from the vaping.  Either that or just attempt to gradually reduce the amount of time spent vaping.  Vaping has some advantages over smoking.  In that it is just water vapor that carries the nicotine, much of the negative issues around smoking are eliminated.  Yet it also has the same habitual behavioral issues.  I go out and take a break.

One of the differences is that when smoking one tends to commit to at least one whole cigarette.  At least I did.  With vaping you can take a few puffs and be done with it.  Or you can vape for an extended period of time.  That's the down side.

My main motivation for breaking free is the impact on the rest of my health.  When I first went on the patch my sleep patterns improved drastically.  Now with vaping, I'm back to my old patterns. 

Insomnia.  I first struggled with this during my teenage years.  I always had a hard time falling to sleep, though early on, once asleep I could sleep.  As I aged, and as the bipolar disorder became more pronounced, remaining asleep became a problem. 

Added to this is that these middle of the night times have become a part of my spiritual experience.  I crave the time for reflection and meditation.  The peaceful silence is golden. 

Also, in that sleep is a struggle I often feel relieved to wake up.  One of the things I experience is frustrating and repetitive dreams.  Not nightmares, just repetitive and irritating.  Getting up for a while interrupts this.

These two issues aside, life is good.  Much improved over what it has been and for that I'm grateful.

One of the best things is the confidence with which I can live these days.

One of the fears I had when I was first diagnosed is that I might experience highly undesirable symptoms which might have devastating consequences.  Mania can manifest itself in inappropriate sexual drives and behaviors.  My concern regarding this was related to, among other things, my profession.  In fact, during the time of my being on disability I questioned whether the Church could ever allow one such as me to function as a pastor again.  It is prudent for the Church to allow a bipolar person to be a pastor when one of the defining symptoms of mania is sexual indiscretions?  I thought not.

As I've stabilized on medications, this fear has subsided.  Just take your meds, dude!

That's something one has to remember.  I'm feeling the way I'm feeling in large part due to the medications I am on.  It's easy to convince oneself that 'I'm better now, and don't need the medications anymore.'  Nope.  Don't believe it.  Not for a minute.

Actually, the last time I determined that I didn't need meds, I replaced them with Scotch.  That did not have a good result.

The only downside to the meds is that my insurance company is not pleased that I'm on a lifetime regiment.  And my meds exceed my monthly premium, substantially.  They lose money on me.

On this matter I'm humored.  Portico Benefits is our church's insurance.  They use Express Scripts to manage the prescription drug plan.  Express Scripts has a pharmacy.  What I'm humored by is that when I was using a local pharmacy, Express Scripts, on behalf of Portico, was continually asking that my doctors justify the medications they were prescribing.  This was irritating as these are 'lifetime' meds.  I'll never get off them.  But when I started buying the meds from Express Scripts, they no longer question them.  I wonder if Portico knows that.

Well, its time to lay down again.  Sleep is good, when I can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment