Sunday, October 13, 2019

When God opens a door

Persistence and resilience are a mixed bag.  Sometimes those traits have gotten me in trouble as I pushed down a road I probably was not meant to go down in the first place.  Sometimes doors close for a reason.  They've also been a Godsend, allowing me to achieve goals and bounce back from life's pitfalls.  In these instances doors open, sometimes like those automated doors in businesses-- you approach and the door opens.  These are special moments.

Part of my faith is to trust these open doors and to see in them the hand of God leading, guiding, and providing.  It was like that when we went to seminary.  It was really like that when we came to Sandpoint.  And when I went through treatment, left ministry on disability, and began to rebuild my life doors opened along the way.

And now I face another such transition and moving into my retirement years.  This has opened up some possibilities.  Key among them is building a shop and resuming my work in my own business, Olsons WoodWorks.  For a while I encountered roadblock after roadblock, especially with regards to insurance.  Insurers just don't like the exposure of home based businesses.  Or making anything for children.  Or ladders.  Or boats.  Or stools.  Uffda.

But on Friday I received the pledge for the insurance, as well as the go ahead on the shop, and  positive news on the church front.  Every uncertainty seemed to be answered and in the positive. 

Life feels good right now.

One of the most encouraging things is when those trusted friends you count on offer their affirmation.  That's a  good meter, a sanity meter if you will, for judging whether one's judgment passes the smell test.  And to have my psychiatrist weigh in on this and applaud the decision really helped.  Of course, the most important voice to listen to was my wife, whose caution is a good counter to my ambition.

There are many months ahead when I'm sure some uncertainty will remain.  But we move forward in faith and good courage.  I'm reminded again of my prayer, composed  by me during one of my transitions, and to which my heart returns from time to time.

Hold me tight, most precious Lord,
That I might follow you.
Grant me grace to live each day,
May I be born anew.
Lift me up whenever I fall,
And never let me fade
From the grace filled light
Of your own sight
That turns the night to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment