Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Yes, Bishop, I'm a prime example.

My Bishop recently wrote an article about self care, specifically taking time off. I'm a prime example. Clergy don't do a good job of this, often tending to others and neglecting themselves.  And for some of us, it's even more complicated.

I'm up this morning too early.  I woke up a few times, and finally got up at about 1:15.  I look for reasons for this.  Taking pseudoephedrine.  I've been battling a cold, or allergies, and have taken pseudoephedrine.  That is enough to do it.  I am also a Seahawks fan and was following the Russell Wilson contract situation.  They reached an agreement late last night.  I found myself checking on the progress every time I woke up.  And part of it is just plain insomnia that continues to plague me.  Self care and taking time off.  Just sleeping would be a good start.

I was bad at this when I was full time in the ministry.  When I went on disability I had accumulated a full three months of unused vacation time.  Much of this accrued during the building of Luther Park.  I just didn't take time off.

My lesson?  Eventually you will.  If being disabled and off work for a couple of years is what you want, just keep up with that schedule.  It caught up with me.

My life now has not made it any easier.  I work a forty hour week at the cabinet shop, and then add twenty hours at church.  Add to that the twelve hours a week I spend commuting And there is not a lot of time for self care.  I need to use my vacation at church, but that puts a burden on them that I tend to avoid.  But mainly, I only get a week off per year from the cabinet shop.  That restricts me.  For my coworkers, this is not so bad as they work four tens, and have a three day weekend.  Not me.  I am able to take Friday afternoons and Saturdays off, and I do so religiously. 

I fear that there is not an easy solution for the next few years until retirement.  So yes, Bishop Kristen, I hear you.  I just don't see an easy solution.

Otherwise, I'm doing well.  Overworked, but well.


No comments:

Post a Comment