Sunday, February 24, 2019

One Thing leads to another.

It's been nearly six and a half years since I had my last drink.

It's been over six months since I've had my last cigarette.

Now it's time to start thinking about what I will do, not what I won't.

Doctors have been nagging at me.  They have this crazy notion that I should exercise.  One of my responses has been to be amused that I, who am engaged in a physically active job 40 hours a week, am being told by someone that works in an office setting, that I need more physical activity.

It's all about the heart, though.  They want to see me get involved in cardio workouts.

Exercise has been a challenge for me as I have grown older.  I inherited my Father's heart, and my Mother's knees.  I've already had knee surgery.  Replacements, I'm told, are in my future but not yet.  I've had my mitral valve repaired.  

In years gone by I walked.  I mean really walked.  Sometimes for hours at night as it was my therapy.  I would walk until I was tired enough to sleep.  Mile after mile.  Hour after hour.  Then the knees gave out.  Walking became more limited.  Then I began work at the cabinet shop.  On my feet on concrete floors 10 hours a day.  The couch looked better.  

Alas, there are few cardio workouts to be had on the couch.

And I'm gaining weight.  230 pounds for a man that's 6' 4" is not gross obesity by any means, but I now feel my belly when I bend over.  It has become a bit of an obstruction.  A major contributing factor is that I've quit smoking.  My doctor tells me that I'd have to put on a hundred pounds to counteract the positive gains of quitting smoking.  So up next on my agenda is exercise.

Walking is a challenge anymore due to my knees.  The uneven surfaces leave my knees just aching for days after a walk of any length.  The thought of taking a hike causes me to wince.  

So I've been researching the best cardio workouts that are low impact and non-weight bearing.  If I could stand swimming, that'd be ideal.  I don't have the time to go to the pool on a regular basis.  And I hate swimming.  Neither bodes well for success.

My research has led me to this.
This is a "Inspire CS3 Cardio Strider".  Basically a recumbent elliptical machine.  It's ideal for aging folks with bad joints.  I'm saving up my pennies.

I have numerous reactions to this.  First of all, I'm humored that the fitness equipment that's suitable for me is found in rehab facilities more than gyms.  I'm not 32 anymore.  Secondly, it's funny how I react to the cost.  Do I want to spend a couple grand on something like this????  Note:  I spent considerably more than that each year on Scotch, and also even more on smoking.  Why is it that we can justify our vices more than our attempts to improve ourselves?

A big issue of course is whether I can be disciplined about using it.  

In my parents I have two role models.  My mother could never stick to an exercise routine.  Occasionally she walked with Dad, but that didn't last long.  My Dad, however, was compulsive about his walks.  Every afternoon before supper he'd head out.  I remember standing outside the senior housing complex where he lived talking with the chaplain.  Dad walked by.  "We can set our clocks by his schedule." she remarked. 

I think my wife is sceptical about my 'sticktoitiveness", (yes that's a word). I stuck to smoking for quite a while (44 years to be exact) and drinking (long enough to become a problem), and therapy (long enough that I've nothing more to talk about) and a few other things as well.  I'm optimistic.

There are other things I'd rather have.  I thought about buying a new set of golf clubs with some of my inheritance, as that's something Dad and I enjoyed together.  But I won't have a lot of time to golf until retirement.  But man there are some golf clubs out there that are sweet.  And sometime soon we'll be in the market for new living room furniture.  So I could cater to my couch potato side by buying a new couch. . .

Bottom line, I'm hoping to take some steps (literally) that will enable me to age well.  I hope to live a long and ACTIVE life.  But first comes taxes.  Got to pay the taxes.  And do some maintenance on the house.  Then the exercise equipment.  Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment