Sunday, January 13, 2019

Aging Well

In a few weeks I'll turn sixty two.  Retirement is now a choice.  Not necessarily a good choice at this time, but a choice nevertheless.  If I retired today I'd be able to match the income I've been making from my cabinet making, but not from my church work.  Delaying retirement will bring up my income to the point where I'll be able to match my total income.

But with my background it's nice to know that retirement is an option.  I have sufficient equity in my home that if I really needed to retire I could sell this home, purchase a less expensive home, and be able to live frugally.  For example, I could pay cash for a home in Otis Orchards where my church is.  There's some freedom in knowing that is an option.  My continuing to work is a choice, not a necessity.  I choose to continue working so that we can live in Sandpoint, not Otis Orchards.  We like it here.

I'm thinking about aging more these days.  Last night we had steak for dinner.  Karla and I shared one.  And we couldn't finish it. Senior portions.  And then there is my sleep patterns.  Early to bed, early to rise.  This is so foreign to the pattern I established over the course of my life.

And then there is the death of my father.  Both mom and dad are gone now.  This fact came front and center for two reasons this month.  On a trivial note, I deleted their contact information from my phone.  That was unexpectedly an emotional experience.  Secondly, the estate will settle this month.

I suppose the joy of being a grandparent also leads one to consider aging.  As does the simple fact that our children are more and more prone to 'help out' mom and dad.  And we are more inclined to accept their assistance.  I also notice this in my work at the cabinet shop.  I can still lift heavy sheets of plywood by myself.  But you know what?  If there is a young buck walking by at that moment I'm not at all hesitant to ask for and receive help.  I don't have to prove my manhood anymore.  At least not by lifting 150#.

It seems to me there is a fundamental choice that we make at this time in our life.  Do we devote ourselves to preserving our youth, or aging gracefully.

To dye or not to dye.  That's the question many women face.  Karla has chosen to wear her grey hair as a badge of honor.  She earned it (living with me!).  Fun fact-- gray can be spelled either gray or grey, it's not black or white.

To work out or not work out.  My doctors would like to see me exercise more.  I struggle with that because of my knees (and just about every other joint).  I'm on my feet and physically active at the cabinet shop.  If I overdo it exercising at home I suffer through sore knees at work.  What really bothers me is stairs and walking on uneven surfaces.  Too soon for replacements.  I'm reminded of my grandmother who never went upstairs in her home.  The children would be instructed to change the sheets when they stayed, and bring down the dirty sheets when they left.  Grandma would wash them, and put them on the steps for the next visitor to use.

Contentedness.  I'm neither 18 or 88 at this point.  I'm at peace with that.  I look forward to retirement, but I'm not desperate for it either.  When the time comes, I'll retire first from the cabinet shop and spend my time in my own shop doing furniture for my family and improving our home.  And then, I'll retire at a later date from the church I serve, depending of course on whether my call there lasts that long.  All in due time.

In woodworking, the greatest satisfaction comes from seeing the finished product.  In life I think the greatest satisfaction I've experienced is from seeing my children reach adulthood and turn out to be such wonderful people, each in their own right.  You don't get that experience when you are 28.  It's the exclusive privilege of aging.

So rather than lament the fact that I'm getting older, I'm rejoicing in the fact that my adult children are now becoming my friends.  That is truly a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment