Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Despair and Hope: The Politics of Today

There is not a day that goes by that I don't experience another deep revulsion at the policies of Donald Trump.  He will never be my president.  Not only is he not making America Great Again, he is attacking in a most haphazard way the very fabric of our country.  In the strangest development today, I find myself in agreement with the Koch brothers.  That takes something.

The detention of immigrant children in, among other places, an abandoned Walmart.  And a senator denied access.  I suppose there is something appropriate about that as Walmart parking lots have long attracted the homeless, living out of their cars, who rely on Walmart for bathrooms and a food supply, not to mention a place to get in out of the cold.

But America, really, did you ever think that our Federal Government would warehouse children in an abandoned Walmart?  Republicans, is this the America you embrace, oh you of 'family values'.  You are responsible for electing this monster.  You.  You are responsible for the plight of those children.  This may be worse than the treatment of Native Americans, the Japanese, etc..  And this is 2018.  We know better.  It is past time that we hold our leaders accountable. 

"I have the absolute right to pardon myself."  I doubt that, as do many others.  But even if you have the constitutional authority to pardon yourself, neither you, Donald Trump, nor those who support you, can absolve yourself of the moral implications of your actions.  And make no mistake about it, every American who acquiesces to this type of behavior is complicent in it. 

I don't give a shit about collusion with the Russians, and the dirt that the Donald tried to dig up regarding Hillary.  I don't really care about the many ways the Trump empire appears to be profiting from his policies.  And I could care less about his opinion of the NFL.

I do care deeply about people, and especially the harm being done to innocent children.  I predict that the day will come that everything comes to light and we will be, or should be, aghast at what we've become. 

And then there is hope.

Each day brings us closer to the next election, and candidates are beginning to line up already.  My hope is that not only Democrats, but Republicans will raise up candidates worthy of the presidency to challenge and defeat Trump.  Democrats obviously will try.  I'm not sure about Republicans. 

Could the former CEO of Starbucks mount a successful campaign?  I don't know.  Perhaps someone like Elizabeth Warren?  I could even thoroughly embrace and support a true Republican like Romney or McCain, though obviously McCain's not available anymore.  Kasich, well that would be a big improvement.  Anybody, as long as they have a conscience, and are willing to make a commitment to the best of their ability, to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

My biggest fear is that having seen four years of the atrocities of Trump's administration voters will embrace it.  Then the United States will have lost its soul.  This is not what our veterans fought to defend.  This is not the country that was the conscience of the world.  Any Republican who can see pictures of children caged like animals and still support this president has simply strayed from Republican values.  This is my cry, not that Democrats will always win, but that Republicans will at least be true to their own heritage as a party.

Do I want him  impeached?  Maybe, but I'd rather see him overwhelmingly defeated at the ballot box as that would demonstrate in my mind that the United States has not lost its soul.

I struggle to not give in to hate.  This can be difficult when one abhors so much of what is happening.  But somewhere in between acquiescence and hate there is a position of strong resistance to the current state of affairs that will not rest until the soul of our nation is restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment